Friday, November 26, 2010

Birmingham Museum of Art





I visited the Birmingham Museum of Art for they very first time, with classmate Wayne Keeton. We looked at many foreign exhibits. They had Japanese, Korean, Southeast Asian, Indian and African art. I decided to post pictures from the Japanese exhibit. I was amazed at how detailed their art work was. As I walked through each exhibit I noticed the years on the artwork got earlier and earlier. There were some pieces of artwork that amazed me simply because the artwork was so modernized for the time it was made in.
Wayne Keeton
Japanese Warrior Figurines






 To the left is a puzzle ball. To the right is the description of the puzzle ball.




A very beautifully sewn kimono 
 I think our culture, like others, have many definitions of art. Paintings, sculpture, clothes, figurines, drawings, weavings and basketry are some of the categories of art that I seen present in many cultural exhibits. I learned that each culture has their own definition of art which closely ties into their religion, beliefs, customs and heritage. I didn't have any preconceived notions that were dispelled. One thing I noticed in many of the exhibits were the tools that people in the past had made. Human beings are different from other animal species because we are prolific tool makers. No other species has ever created anything that has the sophistication of human tools or symbolic expression.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. I enjoyed the visit to the Museum...
    Maybe I will check out American Art next time....

    ReplyDelete